Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Williams

Default Creating a reference to a different worksheet

I have fuel meteres at unattended sites where my customers dispense fuel. I
am wanting to gather the meter readings on a spread sheet. I then want to
reference to that sheet comparing it to later readings to determine the
amount of fuel dispensed. I can make it work by entering formulas in the
spreadsheet, but when I try to make the formula accept the file name I
generate by entering the date, it doesn't work.

=+B6-[10.28.2005.xls]Sheet1!B6..

I've tried building the file name "10.28.2005" but it will not work in the
formula.

Any help I could get with this would be most apprecaited...

Thanks
NJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
keithl816

Hi Nick,

Why is there a +b6- after your =? if you file is on your computer say
the desktop,

Shouldn't your file path be something like this?

='C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Desktop\[10.28.05.xls]Sheet1'!$b$6.

Hope this helps

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21287

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NJ

Larry:

What I'm trying to do is build the file name that I need to use for
caparisons within the the sheet by entering dates in a cell. If I can do
this then my program for accounting for the fuel dispensed at each of my
nine fueling stations.

Thanks for the response.

"keithl816" wrote
in message ...

Hi Nick,

Why is there a +b6- after your =? if you file is on your computer say
the desktop,

Shouldn't your file path be something like this?

='C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Desktop\[10.28.05.xls]Sheet1'!$b$6.

Hope this helps

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=488374

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NJ

Larry:

The B6 is my current meter reading. I want to compare it to a meter reading
I have entered on a previous date in a spread sheet that is formatted in
exactlythe same manner. Byu doing this I can compare a meter reading at any
given date with a meter reading from any other date. If I can build the file
name...

I've read that in order to do this that both sheets have to be open at the
time.

If I can get this done, it will solve a very perplexing problem in my
business.

Thanks
Nick

"keithl816" wrote
in message ...

Hi Nick,

Why is there a +b6- after your =? if you file is on your computer say
the desktop,

Shouldn't your file path be something like this?

='C:\Documents and Settings\Larry\Desktop\[10.28.05.xls]Sheet1'!$b$6.

Hope this helps

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=488374

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
keithl816

Hi NJ,

You have a reading in B6 of the main spreadsheet and you collect data
from another spreadsheet, you transfer the data to the main spreadsheet
and want to compare the two pieces of data. would something like this
work?

=b6-'C:\Documents and