Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
afdmello

Default comobox

what is the difference of a combobox and a data validation list? I observed
a dropdownlist and after great search found that it is combobox used.

AFD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

First, there are two types of comboboxes.

One is from the Control toolbox toolbar and one is from the Forms toolbar. On
top of that, there is data|validation.

I find data|validation easier to implement--but it can be easily defeated by
just copy|pasting over that cell.

The other two--the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar and the dropdown
from the forms toolbar are shapes that float over the the worksheet. Each are
objects that support VBA code which means that the developer can do lots more
stuff with them.

In fact, the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar has a lot more properties
than the dropdown from the Forms toolbar. The developer can do lots more things
with the combobox from the control toolbox toolbar.

The objects from the Forms toolbar came first. The control toolbox toolbar
objects (along with data|validation, if I recall correctly) were introduced with
xl97.

In general, data|validation is the easiest to implement. Then comes the
dropdown from the Forms toolbar, then comes the combobox from the control
toolbox.

Each of them behave differently (but look kind of similar).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
afdmello