Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andrew Mackenzie

Default Count the largest

I have a column of customers and an adjacent column of balances. I would
like to count the number of customers that account for 50% of the total
amount of the balances.

I am looking for a formula to do this for me. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

As you have names in an adjacent column I will assume the amounts are
in column B, from Cell B1 downwards.

In C1 put
=LARGE(B:B,ROW())

In D1 put
=IF(SUM(C$1:C1)<0.5*SUM(C:C),SUM(C$1:C1),"")

and formula-drag those down as far as you have data.

In E1 put
=COUNT(D:D)

This should be your count of those that total 50%.

Note that the amounts in columns C to D do not represent the names on
the same row, they are in order of greatest to least.

Hope this helps

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487907