Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ian

Default Shared use of excel work books

Hi,
Can anyone tell me "if I have an excel workbook (with multiple worksheets
that report to the first worksheet) on a shared drive whether it can be set
up for multiple users to access it and use it at the same time?" These users
will be accessing their single worksheet to update it periodically with the
first worksheet being the project leaders sheet where he gets to see all the
other worksheets on his one sheet.
--
Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Giulia

Hi Ian,

You can do this by selcting "shareworkbook" from the tools menu and checking
the 'allow changes by more than one use'.

Beware tho users must never save their changes by using the 'save as' from
the file menu. Doing this would mean changes by other users would be lost.
Always using the save icon on the toolbar ensures changes from all users at
the same time are merged.

I may be wrong but I do not think you will be able to ensure that each
individual users worksheet or the project leaders sheet is private to the
individual user, if this is what you are trying to do.

Sharedworkbooks also have a few limitations.... password/data
validations/conditional formats etc cannot be set upwhile the workbook is
shared, but can be set up before sharing the workbook.