Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SusanM

Default Cell Protection

I have a worksheet with five columns that contain IF formulas (Group A)
linked back to other columns in the same worksheet (Group B). I need to
protect the formulas in those five columns (Group A), so that they cannot be
deleted/changed. I have followed the correct procedures to lock the specific
cells and password-protect the worksheet.

One of the columns in €śunlocked€ť Group B contains links to two other files.
The users need the ability to change the links to other file sources. When
the columns in Group A are locked and protected, the user cannot change the
file links.

Is there anyway around this restriction?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Casey

SusanM
Locking cells is a two step process.
Go to FORMATCELLS and then go to the Protection tab and for each range
of cells you want protected or locked make sure the "Locked" option is
checked. Conversely, for every group of cells you want to be able to
change make sure the "Locked" option is unchecked.

Now, none of this locks or unlocks anything until you go to
TOOLSPROTECTIONPROTECT SHEET. After you protect the sheet all cells
which have the "Locked" option checked will be unalterable and those
that have the "Locked" option unchecked will be alterable.

There is a good deal more to learn about the many options with locking
and unlocking and I would direct you to the Excel help file.

HTH

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545