Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe@excel

Default need a bit of help.....

I have generated a form that shows money amounts. yet i want two colums
that separates the dollar amount from cents. I have for example colum
*H* as the dollar amount and colum *I* as the cent amounts. Now i have
tried Format Cell to set it up but it doesnt work. for example i tried
the custom format for the dollar amount and it rounds it. and if
there's an amount of 1108.83 the cell will show 1109. so it does not
show the true value amount. i also tried the same approach with the
=RIGHT(H1,2) but with the left and Mid but still didnt work, because i
would have to enter the same amount of caracters each time. as far as
the cents, there is no problems because i did the =RIGHT(H1,2)
function. it will on show the cent amounts.

so is there another way to set it up?
Please yall.... let me know....

--
Joe@excel
Joe@excel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29016

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rowan Drummond

Not sure I follow but maybe:
=Int(H1)
to return 1108 from 1108.83

Hope this helps
Rowan

Joe@excel wrote:
I have generated a form that shows money amounts. yet i want two colums
that separates the dollar amount from cents. I have for example colum
*H* as the dollar amount and colum *I* as the cent amounts. Now i have
tried Format Cell to set it up but it doesnt work. for example i tried
the custom format for the dollar amount and it rounds it. and if
there's an amount of 1108.83 the cell will show 1109. so it does not
show the true value amount. i also tried the same approach with the
=RIGHT(H1,2) but with the left and Mid but still didnt work, because i
would have to enter the same amount of caracters each time. as far as
the cents, there is no problems because i did the =RIGHT(H1,2)
function. it will on show the cent amounts.

so is there another way to set it up?
Please yall.... let me know....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The first thing I'd try is to widen that column.

If the cell is formatted as General, excel will hide as many decimal places as
it can when the column is too skinny.

But if you format the cell as something besides General (number, 2 decimal
places or even a custom number format), you should see ##### when the column is
too narrow.

What was the custom format you used for that cell?

"Joe@excel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

=int(h1) will give you the dollar amount, =h1-int(h1) will give you the
cents. (Caveat: if h1 is negative, this will go to the next lower integer
amount, so -11.82 would turn into -12 and +0.18; holler if you need a way
around that).

"Joe@excel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe@excel

thank you guys.
but... may be i didnt explain clearly enough....
I have two columns... *H *and *I *...
in column *H* i'm entering a dollar amount.. $1,108.83..
once i hit enter, the *H* column should only show the dollar amount
which is 1,108
and
column *I *should only show the remaining cents which is 83

hope i explained better this time..