Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nora

Default Disappearing info in merged cells - Excel

I created a document that had merged cells. After saving my document several
times, info that was placed in merged cells kept disappearing. Any
suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Nora

I will assume you know that if you data in 4 cells then merge those cells only
the data in top left cell will remain after merging.

So, I guess that leaves us with data disappearing from cells you have merged
previously and added/changed within.

I cannot replicate this behaviour unless I enter more than 1024 characters in
the merged cell. Excel treats multiple cells merged to 1 as a single cell.

Excel allows 32,767 characters in a cell but only 1024 characters will be
visible or can be printed.

One way to overcome this limit is to place an ALT + ENTER every now again to
stretch the visible limit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP