Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
traderhorn

Default does a deleted file still exist in my computer ?

When I delete a file does it still exist in some form in the computer that a
hacker
could possiblly open ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

No, not unless it is a government hacker (CIA) that steals your hard drive

Peo Sjoblom

"traderhorn" wrote in message
When I delete a file does it still exist in some form in the computer that

hacker
could possiblly open ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

"Deleting" a file doesn't actually delete it; it just marks the space as
available to be used. There are third-party programs that can sometimes
recover deleted files. The problem is that the space used by the file is
likely to become overwritten very quickly, and this makes the file
unrecoverable.

So a hacker's chances of successfully recovering this file are decent if he
tries recovering it immediately after deleting it, and rapidly go downhill
from there. If you've been using the computer since then (for example to write
this question and read this answer), the chances are probably very poor by
now.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP