Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Loriandme69

Default alphabet as Numbers?

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

--
Loriandme69
Loriandme69's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28971

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Sheppard

Loriandme69 Wrote:
I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Loriandme69

You could create a lookup table with the letters a-z and the
corresponding numbers

and then use the LOOKUP function to to return the corresponding numeric
value when a letter is input

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487038

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

In B1 enter this formula

=CHAR(A1 + 96)

Enter a number from 1 to 26 in A1

If numbers were not 1 through 26 you could use a VLOOKUP table.

Enter numbers in A1:A26

Enter letters a through z in Column B

In C1 enter a number

In D1 enter this formula =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$26,2,FALSE)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:58:59 -0600, Loriandme69
wrote:

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. Is
there a way to create a formula that can do this? Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay

I want to associate letters of the alphabet with numbers so that when a
letter is put in a cell, a numerical value can be associated. Sort of
like a phone pad-I want it so that you could put the letter in a cell
and a designated number would automatiocaly show up in another cell. ...

One way is to use VLOOKUP.

Get started by putting the settings on Sheet2.
- Put the letters in column A of Sheet2.
- Put the corresponding numbers in column B of Sheet2.

If the letter goes into A1 on Sheet1, put this in B1 of Sheet1:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)

Depending on your case-(in)sensitivity needs, you might want to use UPPER()
or LOWER().
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Ooopps! Backwards.

Go with the VLOOKUP table and switch the letters and numbers columns.

Enter a letter in C1.

Gord