Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dblair3270

Default Conditional Format

How can I apply a conditional format to a different cell? For example: I
want to format cell B1 based on the value in cell A1. So if the value in A1
was = 1, then I would fill B1 w/ light grey. If A1 were = 2, then I would
not fill B1 at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
swatsp0p

You only mention actions if A1= 1 or 2. What if it is blank or any
other value?

I'll assume A1 must be either 1 or 2. If it is 2, we don't want to do
anything anyway, so in B1, set CF to:

Formula is: A1=1 click FormatPatterns and select Light Gray for
fill. OK, OK to apply.

When A1=1, B1 should fill lt. gray. Any other value is the default
fill. Does this work for you?

Good Luck

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487002

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dblair3270

You are correct...If A1 is any other value than one, then do nothing.

However, I cannot get your suggestion to work...

"swatsp0p" wrote:

You only mention actions if A1= 1 or 2. What if it is blank or any
other value?

I'll assume A1 must be either 1 or 2. If it is 2, we don't want to do
anything anyway, so in B1, set CF to:

Formula is: A1=1 click FormatPatterns and select Light Gray for
fill. OK, OK to apply.

When A1=1, B1 should fill lt. gray. Any other value is the default
fill. Does this work for you?

Good Luck

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=487002

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

1. Highlight Cell B1
2. Select Format-Conditional Formatting
3. Select "Formula Is" (Change from "Cell Value Is")
4. Insert =A1=1 as your formula. Include both equal signs.
5. Select formatting with the "Format..." button

I think the equal signs is what is giving you the problem.

Notice the '=' in front; it is necessary to have both '=' characters.