Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jackie D

Default saving worksheets - Office 2003

hi

Is there a way to create backup copies of Excel worksheets, like you can in
Word? I've just lost the last ten minutes of a worksheet and it wouldhave
been really useful to have some kind of back up plan. Any help would be
really appreciated.
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jackie D

Hi Gary. I had that checked already and I was selecting save every 30
seconds. A crash caused it. I've found a macro called AutoSafe but I'm having
dificulty getting it to work

--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote:

hi

Is there a way to create backup copies of Excel worksheets, like you can in
Word? I've just lost the last ten minutes of a worksheet and it wouldhave
been really useful to have some kind of back up plan. Any help would be
really appreciated.
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Jackie

As you have found out, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as there was in
earlier versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 in 2002 and 2003 and it does the
job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP