Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Edwin Mashiringwani

Default creating an XLS file from " files" data in a Folder

Hi All,

I have a number of files in a folder.

What I would like to do is create an XLS file as follows

1. Files in folder a- apple.pdf, orange.pdf, peach.pdf, tomato.pdf,

the XLS file I create automatically (based on files in the folder) would be
like this

A1: apple.pdf
B1: orange.pdf
C1: peach.pdf
D1: tomato.pdf

Is this possible to do ?

thanks in advance

Edwin Mashiringwani

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bernard liengme

Use the Windows Start command followed by Run and type in CMD
Navigate to the folder of interest (do you rememeber DOS?)
Type DIRfilelist.txt
Close the RUN window, open XL
In XL FIle|Open and open filelist.txt
Use Data|Text to columns to tidy it up. Might be best to open file in
Notepad first to remove header info
Not exacly 'automatic' !
best wishes
Bernard

"Edwin Mashiringwani" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have a number of files in a folder.

What I would like to do is create an XLS file as follows

1. Files in folder a- apple.pdf, orange.pdf, peach.pdf,
tomato.pdf,

the XLS file I create automatically (based on files in the folder) would
be
like this

A1: apple.pdf
B1: orange.pdf
C1: peach.pdf
D1: tomato.pdf

Is this possible to do ?

thanks in advance

Edwin Mashiringwani

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Edwin

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP