Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
calebmil

Default Excel claims exclusive file may have been changed on save

Every time I work with one particular spreadsheet, I get a dialog indicating
that the file may have been changed by another user whenever I try to save
the workbook.

- I have exclusive access to this file.
- I am the only person making changes to the file.
- There are no macros in this workbook.
- My machine checks out as free of viruses and spyware.
- I am at my wits end!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Have a look at this KB Article

"The file may have been changed..." error when you save workbook to network
server in Excel 2002

Myrna Larson also reported that she got this error when opening a workspace
(*.xlw) file.

Opening the workbooks individually solved the problem.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:43:03 -0800, "calebmil"
wrote:

Every time I work with one particular spreadsheet, I get a dialog indicating
that the file may have been changed by another user whenever I try to save
the workbook.

- I have exclusive access to this file.
- I am the only person making changes to the file.
- There are no macros in this workbook.
- My machine checks out as free of viruses and spyware.
- I am at my wits end!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Peltier

If you have any volatile formulas, like RAND() or NOW(), these recalculate
when the workbook is opened, thus changing the file.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services