Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rsilver

Default What function is the opposite of SUM?

A couple of questions below, I asked about how to make a cell show a running
balance (one cell, no matter how many entries you put into the column)

Reading through, it sounds like what I want is the opposite of the SUM
function, whatever that is.

If I understand correctly, the sum function ADDS all of the numbers in a
range. So, if I wanted to keep a running balance, I would simply make the
withdrawals negative number and the deposits postivie ones.

But, I have a LOT more withdrawals than deposits. Is there any way to tell
it to SUBTRACT all of the numbers in a column? This would mean that I would
get the same result as if I summed a bunch of postives (deposits) and
Negatives (withdrawals) only I would type in my withdrawals as positive
numbers and the deposits as negative numbers.

I just don't want to have to enter ever y withdrawal as a negative number.
there are so many, and I know I will keep missing the negative sign. I want
the numbers to be negative BY DEFAULT, so that only have to think about
signs if there is a deposit.

I know this makes no sense whatsoever. I'll try to think of a better way to
explain.....

I guess I am hoping that instead of entering a "-" in front of EVERY
withdrawal entry (ie almost all of the entries), I could tell it to do
opposite of SUM,

yeah,

okay I'll go now.

THanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Simple

=SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B)

--

HTH

RP

"rsilver" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could just add them using =Sum() and then subtract from 0.

=0-sum(b1:b10)
or
=-sum(b1:b10)

rsilver wrote:

[...]

[...]