David P.

Default Shift key to disable macros not working

I have a macro that runs upon opening a file. I believe that holding down the
shift key is supposed to disable automatic macros. It is not disabling. Any
suggestions?
--
David P.

Dave Peterson

I'd guess that it was a finger/mouse-click timing issue.

I did File|open
selected the file
and shift-clicked on the open button (and continued to hold that shift key down)

And both the Auto_open and workbook_open procedures were not run.

David P. wrote:

I have a macro that runs upon opening a file. I believe that holding down the
shift key is supposed to disable automatic macros. It is not disabling. Any
suggestions?
--
David P.

--

Dave Peterson
David P.

Hello Dave,

You were the one who helped me create the code and told me about the shift
key. Just for future searchers like me, I discovered on another question that
the shift key trick cannot be used in windows explorer, only when opening
through the application itself. Thanks for your incredible advice that has
helped immensly many times.
--
David P.

David P. wrote:

I have a macro that runs upon opening a file. I believe that holding down the
shift key is supposed to disable automatic macros. It is not disabling. Any
suggestions?
--
David P.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Hmmm.

I held the shift key while opening a workbook by double clicking in windows
explorer and it worked ok (er, the auto_open procedures weren't run).

(If excel were closed, then none of the addins loaded, though.)

It might be easier to try if you select the file, then hold the shift key, then
hit enter. (Remember to continue to hold the shift key until the file opens.)