Henrywaz

Default Startup Problem

I accidentally changed the entry in the Tools, Options, General tab so Excel
now tries to execute every file in my data directory. Needless to say, it
never gets to the point that I can get to the Tools menu to delete the entry.
I've also tried to Repair and also Remove Office, but the process hangs.
I'm also concerned that even if I repaired or reinstalled I would still have
the same problem.

Is there a file or set of files I can delete that will solve the problem?
Bryan Hessey

Usually the .xlb file in C:\Documents and Settings\--your
username--\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

Generally a System (hidden) area, so set the Search to select
'hidden'.

Normally deleted, but I usually rename such files in case the error is
elsewhere and there is useful data in there.

Then re-start Excel.

Hope this helps

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484451

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could just temporarily rename your data folder.

Then startup excel and fix the problem.

then back to windows explorer to change the folder name back.

Henrywaz wrote:

I accidentally changed the entry in the Tools, Options, General tab so Excel
now tries to execute every file in my data directory. Needless to say, it
never gets to the point that I can get to the Tools menu to delete the entry.
I've also tried to Repair and also Remove Office, but the process hangs.
I'm also concerned that even if I repaired or reinstalled I would still have
the same problem.

Is there a file or set of files I can delete that will solve the problem?

--

Dave Peterson
Henrywaz

I tried renaming the xlb file, but that didn't do the trick. Renaming the
data directory did work.

Thanks for the idea.