trafficbroker

Default Ripping my hair out, please help!

Hi all.

Im a bit of a beginner at Excel and have an annoyong problem that is
driving me mad! I have long lists of references with values in adjacent
cells. How do I total up the values and produce a list of non repeated
references. Better explained like this:

Here is my origional list:

REF Value
7 2.096
7 2.351
7 1.741
19 1.645
7 11.843
7 4.227
4 3.266
11 3.376
4 1.972
11 1.729

I need to quickly sort the references into totals, this table would
look like this:

REF Value
4 5.23
7 22.25
11 5.1
19 1.64

I can easily mannually do it by sorting A-Z then summing the values for
each reference. But with 1000's of refs it takes too long.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this simple yet very annoying
problem!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
TrafficBroker

--
trafficbroker
trafficbroker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28710

dominicb

Default Summing Multiple References

Good afternoon Trafficbroker

You have two options here :

1. Using SUMIF for each of your ref values eg
=SUMIF(B5:B14,4,C5:C14).

2. A simple pivot table would be easy to create and maintain, but the
links in a pivot table are not as dynamic as an excel formula would be.
You would have to update it manually.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Daminc

Ah, I was beaten to it:

=SUMIF(A2:A11,4,B2:B11)

--
Daminc
Daminc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27074

trafficbroker

Afternoon.

Wow guys, now that is a good service! You have saved me so much time.
Great forum, I will be here more often!

Matt
TrafficBroker

--
trafficbroker
trafficbroker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28710
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483964

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Suggy

Hello all - this is my first post. I have a similar problem, but...
what if one does not know the total number of references?
i.e.
A B
7 2.096
7 2.351
7 1.741
19 1.645
7 11.843
7 4.227
4 3.266
11 3.376
4 1.972
11 1.729

but I do not know how many unique column A refereces there are - there
could be 10 unique numbers or 3, but I want a total of the value for
each unique number within a range.
thanks a lot!
Scott

--
Suggy
Suggy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28877

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Suggy

Hi again. This formual below seems to work, then I just have to sort the
rows to condense the sheet.
=IF(B2<B3,COUNTIF($B$2:$B$30,B2),"")
thanks