Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
tkaplan

Default Custom Validation

I have a merged range of cells B9:I9. I have a cell named TextLength
with the formula Len(B9) and a cell named TooLong with the formula
MID(B9,1100,50).
Here's what I am trying to do:
When the user updates the cell, if he goes past 1150 characters (the
cell will not display past that) i would like a message box to pop up
telling them:
"The cell has reached its maximum limit. Please delete everything after
" & TooLong & " and go to the next row".

I would like the text of TooLong to be either in a different color, or
bold but if that's not possilbe then in quotes.
The purpose of this is because the user won't realize why the entire
text is not displayed in the cell, only formula bar, so this way it
will tell them that they went over and at what point they went over.
I know that i can do validation for the length but i want to include
the text that hit the limit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

--