BorisS

Default array error

I am having trouble with an array. I have a summary set of cells and four
identical sets that need to sum into it (to be clear, I need each of the
summary array cells to sum their respective cells from the four identical
areas).

I am selecting the sum cell group, entering 'Sum(first range, second range,
third range, fourth range)' (with none of those being named ranges...just
starting cell to ending cell), and then doing ctrl-shift-enter. The result I
am getting is the same in each of the sum cells, even though the input cells
are clearly all different. What am I doing wrong?
--
Boris
Peo Sjoblom

That is not an array formula, the result is correct, you are asking the
formula to sum all ranges. For instance if you have
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8

in A1:A8 and you select B1:B2 and want the sum of A1:A4 in B1 and A5:A8 in
B2 you can use

=SUM(OFFSET($A$1,{0;4},,4,))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Peo Sjoblom

"BorisS" wrote in message
I am having trouble with an array. I have a summary set of cells and four
identical sets that need to sum into it (to be clear, I need each of the
summary array cells to sum their respective cells from the four identical
areas).

I am selecting the sum cell group, entering 'Sum(first range, second

range,
third range, fourth range)' (with none of those being named ranges...just
starting cell to ending cell), and then doing ctrl-shift-enter. The

result I
am getting is the same in each of the sum cells, even though the input

cells
are clearly all different. What am I doing wrong?
--
Boris

BorisS

Peo, thanks for the assistance. I am a little confused on your example, so
let me restate mine. If you can tell me directly what I should do, it would
be great:

A1:A5
1 2 3 4 5
B1:B5
6 7 8 9 10

I need for C1:C5 to add each of A1+B1, A2+B2, etc., so that C1:C5 look like
7 9 11 13 15

Thanks for any further assistance.
--
Boris

"BorisS" wrote in message
I am having trouble with an array. I have a summary set of cells and four
identical sets that need to sum into it (to be clear, I need each of the
summary array cells to sum their respective cells from the four identical
areas).

I am selecting the sum cell group, entering 'Sum(first range, second

range,
third range, fourth range)' (with none of those being named ranges...just
starting cell to ending cell), and then doing ctrl-shift-enter. The

result I
am getting is the same in each of the sum cells, even though the input

cells
are clearly all different. What am I doing wrong?
--
Boris

RagDyer

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what reason do you have for not simply
entering:

=A1+B1

Into C1, and then drag down (using the fill handle) to copy to C5?

OR, as an alternative,
Select C1 to C5, with the focus in C1 (colored white),
And enter

=A1+B1

And then hold <Ctrl, and hit <Enter,
Which will give you the exact same results (5 individual formulas) as the
"drag to copy" method.

Are you leaving something out of your explanation?

RD

"BorisS" wrote in message
[...]

BorisS

No. The area I am doing this with is much larger, and for some reason I
thought that I needed to do an array to get the whole thing done in one shot.
But now that I think about it, I think you're right in that all I had to do
was do the ctrl-enter and I would get the same relative formula throughout.
Thanks for hitting me on the back of the head so I'd wake up. :)
--
Boris

"BorisS" wrote in message
[...]

RagDyeR

Thanks for the feed-back ... and I hope I didn't make too big of a bump.<bg

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"RagDyer" wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but what reason do you have for not

simply
entering:

=A1+B1

Into C1, and then drag down (using the fill handle) to copy to C5?

OR, as an alternative,
Select C1 to C5, with the focus in C1 (colored white),
And enter

=A1+B1

And then hold <Ctrl, and hit <Enter,
Which will give you the exact same results (5 individual formulas) as the
"drag to copy" method.

Are you leaving something out of your explanation?

RD

-

-