Michelle

Default Sum formula is not adding up properly

I am summing up hours in Excel and the sum formula is not working Properly.
For 2 of my 5 cells are adding correctly, but the other 2 when added to the
formula throw the entire thing off.

They are all formatted the same in 13:33 format to measure the # of hours
spent on an activity.

What would the reason be that two of them are not working? (it is almost
like exel is substracting hours when these 2 cells are added)
Gary''s Student

No real problem. Your math is probably fine; formatting needs fixing.

Select the cell with the sum in it.
Format this cell as Time 37:30:55
--
Gary's Student

"Michelle" wrote:

I am summing up hours in Excel and the sum formula is not working Properly.
For 2 of my 5 cells are adding correctly, but the other 2 when added to the
formula throw the entire thing off.

They are all formatted the same in 13:33 format to measure the # of hours
spent on an activity.

What would the reason be that two of them are not working? (it is almost
like exel is substracting hours when these 2 cells are added)

Michelle

Gary,

I tried this. I thought this may have been the issue previously becauase at
one point I had the entire sheet working, however when I added some
tasks....it no longer worked.

I have tasks compiled together, each one group with a sum and then the sum
cells are totaled at the bottom. 2 of the sum cells are not summing properly.

Any more ideas?

Michelle

"Michelle" wrote:

I am summing up hours in Excel and the sum formula is not working Properly.
For 2 of my 5 cells are adding correctly, but the other 2 when added to the
formula throw the entire thing off.

They are all formatted the same in 13:33 format to measure the # of hours
spent on an activity.

What would the reason be that two of them are not working? (it is almost
like exel is substracting hours when these 2 cells are added)

Gary''s Student

If there is a real calculational problem, one method of analyzing it is to
repeat the calculations in "natural" units. Say you have 5 times you are
adding in cells A1 thru A5 with the sum in A6. In B1 put =A1 and format as
number with 10 decimal places and copy down thru B6. This will allow you to
see the times in "natural" units. Here is an example:

7:00 0.2916666667
8:00 0.3333333333
1:00 0.0416666667
10:00 0.4166666667
3:00 0.1250000000
29:00:00 1.2083333333

Looking at the B-column (which has the same numbers as A) will allow you to
verify the math and insure that you do not have a 12 or 24 hour wrap-around
problem.
--
Gary's Student