MS

Default Fill handle - new column using a column and one cell

I have a column A1:A10 with numbers in it. I also have a cell C1 with a
number 5. I wish to create a column B1:B10 that will be as follow:
B1 = A1*C1
B2 = A2*C1
B3 = A3*C1 and so on.

I do not want to use C1, C2, C3... in my formula. Is this possible?

Thanks
MS

Jim Rech

Put =A1*C$1 in B1 and fill it down.

--
Jim
"MS" wrote in message
|I have a column A1:A10 with numbers in it. I also have a cell C1 with a
| number 5. I wish to create a column B1:B10 that will be as follow:
| B1 = A1*C1
| B2 = A2*C1
| B3 = A3*C1 and so on.
|
| I do not want to use C1, C2, C3... in my formula. Is this possible?
|
| Thanks
| MS

Elkar

Change your formula in B1 to:

=A1*$C$1

You'll then be able to copy it down without it automatically adjusting the
C1 reference.

HTH,
Elkar

"MS" wrote:

I have a column A1:A10 with numbers in it. I also have a cell C1 with a
number 5. I wish to create a column B1:B10 that will be as follow:
B1 = A1*C1
B2 = A2*C1
B3 = A3*C1 and so on.

I do not want to use C1, C2, C3... in my formula. Is this possible?

Thanks
MS

Dave Peterson

Another option is to give C1 a nice name.

Select C1
Insert|Name|Define

Call it myMultiplier (or something that makes more sense for what it is)

Then you could put:

=a1*mymultiplier

and drag down.

You may find it easier to remember what the formula is supposed to do if you
give that cell a nice memorable name.