davemel

Default searching cells - displaying data

Excel 2000 - I have a column of cells that contains values but some have a cr
at the end of them to signify that it is a credit, see example below.

column M
223,334.64cr
2222.88
12345.88cr

I want to do 2 things;
1. check the cells in M column and if there is a cr in the cell place the
text cr into the next column i.e column N. If there is no cr then i want to
pur dr into column N
2. If the cell in column M contains cr i want to delete the cr so that only
the value is left, ie 12345.88cr to become 12345.88

So i am looking for a worksheet as below;

column M Column N
223,334.64 cr
2222.88 dr
12345.88 cr

I have been playing around with search and replace commands but i am
struggling to solve it.

Thanks

tina

Hi davemel
Try
in cell n1 enter formula
=if(iserr(find("cr",n1)),"dr","cr")
copy down rest of column
then
copy and paste special to values
then you can highlight column m and replace cr with nothing
Tina