Teeny

Default Renaming worksheets

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.
Dave Peterson

What was the original name and what is the name you're trying to use?

And can you hit escape to just abort the change?

Some names are not legal under newer versions of excel--History is my favorite
example. It used to be legal, then xl97 (IIRC) said that only excel can use
that name.

--

Dave Peterson
Teeny

Hi Dave

Orginal was Manual then tried Manual Bonus plus a range of other including
Joe Bloggs, Did'nt try the escape button. having slept on the problem I
wonder if it could be that at work I am using Windows 98 and at home XP?
however havent had any other problems with it.

The other thing I notice is that it seems to be attached to a blank
spreadsheet which is the one with the tool bars and I can't get rid of the
blank sheet without deleting the one I need.

It's getting more complicated each time I look at it.
Regards Teeny

Teeny wrote:

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I would guess that the OS has nothing to do with the problem.

Now I'm not quite sure what you're doing. I don't understand what's attached to
a blank spreadsheet.

But each worksheet has to have its own unique name. There are limits to the
length of that name (31 characters) and what characters can be used in that
name. (Both "Manual" and "Manual Bonus" both work fine for me.)

Is there a chance that you have other sheets (maybe hidden) in that workbook
that use that name?

And just to be thorough, what is that standard message that you get (just type
it in your next response).

Teeny wrote:

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Teeny

Hi David

If I minimise the file there is a blank folder behind it with just toollbar
across the top - no cells underneath.

Message is invalid name
Do not exceed 31 Characters, ensure does not cantain the usual characters
and ensure you did not leave the sheet un nmaed or words to that effect.

Teeny wrote:

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

That doesn't sound like a standard excel error message to me.

But it does sound like an error message that can pop up if there's an error in a
macro.

My bet is you have a macro that's trying to rename the sheet--maybe based on a
cell in that worksheet (or another worksheet).

I bet if you:
close excel
restart excel in safe mode
windows start button|Run
type this and hit enter
excel /safe

file|open your workbook
try renaming the worksheet and I bet it works.

If I'm correct, then you'll want to track down the author of the workbook (it
doesn't sound like it's you) and show him/her the problem.

In fact, the next time you get the error message, there will be a button at the
bottom that has a "Debug" caption.

Since you're seeing that long message, you should be able to click on that debug
button and see the line of code that's causing the trouble.

That may not help you, but it should help the author.

Teeny wrote:

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Teeny

Hi David
Sorry about delay in response, had a few problems sorting getting"safe Mode"
but it appears to have resolved the problem and someone else was the author.

Many thanks for your assistance

Teeny wrote:

I have moved a worksheet to another workbook in Excel, however when I rename
it I get the message the standard message about naming sheets, when I try to
save it back to the previous name it comes up with same message and will not
let me quit Excel.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What is the standard message about renaming sheets?

Please post the message verbatim.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP