-   -   Master worksheet automatically enters data into sub worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/53176-master-worksheet-automatically-enters-data-into-sub-worksheets.html)

Ken

Master worksheet automatically enters data into sub worksheets

I've seen some similar postings but not specific enough.
I have a master worksheet with a lot of data. There are four sub area
worksheets that are blank. All data is kept on the master. Data only goes
into a sub worksheet as needed, so all data does not go into all the sub
worksheets.
All worksheets have one common column that has a unique identifier for that
row of data.
I need to be able to take the unique identifier from the Master worksheet
and enter the identifier on a sub worksheet and all matching column entries
for that identifier's row to enter on the row on the sub worksheet.
Also, if the same data is on a row in the Master worksheet and on a row in
a sub worksheet, both rows with the unique identifier, as a change is made on
the master it changes on the sub worksheet.

I know this is complicated and would probably work better in Access but I
have to look at who the end users are.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Dave Peterson

Master worksheet automatically enters data into sub worksheets

First, this isn't the response you want.

But I wouldn't separate my data into multiple worksheets. I'd keep it all in
one worksheet--then use Data|Filter|autofilter to show/hide the stuff I wanted
to see (or hide).

I've found that having multiple worksheets with the same information is just a
problem waiting to happen. When you find that the data is out of sync, you'll
see that it becomes difficult to determine which version is correct.

But....

I have split the data into multiple worksheets (for report distribution--not for
updates).

If you want to split the data from one worksheet into many worksheets based on a
column, then both Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin may have solutions for you:

Debra's site:

Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

or

Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

--