Jessica

Default How to Change Date Formats

I have a bunch of raw data that I am working with. One of the columns
displays dates and I am trying to strip out the year. If I try to use the
YEAR function I get strange answers back.

For example:

Cell reads: 1/1/2006
Answer using YEAR function: 06/1905
Answer that I want: 2006

My data comes from a CSV file, so I think maybe it is in a different date
format than excel uses as a standard. Any suggestions on how to reformat
this data or some other formula I can use to get the answer I am looking for?
PCLIVE

If the cell containing the date is not recognized as a date format then you
might try something like this.

=Right(A1,4)

Another possibility would be to edit the cell containing the date. Select
the cell and press F2. Then press enter. If you have a lot of cells to
edit, then this could be cumbersome.

Good luck.
Paul

"Jessica" wrote in message
I have a bunch of raw data that I am working with. One of the columns
displays dates and I am trying to strip out the year. If I try to use the
YEAR function I get strange answers back.

For example:

Cell reads: 1/1/2006
Answer using YEAR function: 06/1905
Answer that I want: 2006

My data comes from a CSV file, so I think maybe it is in a different date
format than excel uses as a standard. Any suggestions on how to reformat
this data or some other formula I can use to get the answer I am looking
for?

Gord Dibben

Format the answer cell to General to return 2006.

You have it formatted as Date mm/yyyy

2006 is 2006 days past January 1, 1900 is June 28, 1905

Gord Dibben Excel MVP