opxidaea

Default wireless connection needs constant repair

This is all new to me so please reply letting me know what other info you
need so I can get some assistance fixing this. I am running two Dell
Latitude D610 notebooks with WinXP SP2, with recent updates installed, and
have ADSL 512, a SpeedTouch 510 gateway with a Netgear 54 Mbps wireless
router. The wi/fi on the laptops is factory-installed. One laptop connected
by ethernet to the SpeedTouch has no problem, so I don't think my problem is
the ADSL line or the SpeedTouch. The other laptop, which has a wireless
connection, had no problem until I recently relocated it to the other side of
the office. Now I lose the wireless connection very frequently, every few
minutes all day, and the only way to get it back is to "repair" it. It just
disappears and under "available networks" I have nothing. I have read all
the posts about this problem. I am not using encryption or 802.1x
authentication. Now that I've relocated the office, the computer actually
has line of sight to the Netgear and the SpeedTouch, which it did not have
before. I tried doing a system restore to a month ago -- before the move and
before the problem began -- and that didn't solve the problem so I'm guessing
that means the problem is not originating with the computer. I am wondering
if a cordless phone is the problem; it's in the same room and now only about
10 feet away; before the move it was about 18 feet away. I'm wondering if a
telephone/electric pole outside the window might be causing the connection to
drop. Since the move, I am about 25 feet closer to that pole than
previously. Also, there is a (not cordless) phone and fax about 15 feet
away. Other posts about this problem have suggested changing the router
channel (if a phone is the problem) or updating the router firmware. I've no
idea how to do either of those things. I set up the wireless myself through
lots of reading on-line and basically trial and error. Any suggestions you
can offer will be appreciated. Unfortunately, moving the laptop to its
previous location is not an option. Thank you!
Chip Pearson

Does your question have anything to do with Excel? Try posting in
a Windows newsgroup.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson