sostabarak

Default Excel assigns "1" after the filename

When I open an existing file, Excel automatically appends the file name with
a "1" after the name. This has recently started happening. I have no idea why
or how to stop it! Any advice???

bj

it is thinking your file is a template.
open the file and use save as and insure it is not saving as a template.

"sostabarak" wrote:

When I open an existing file, Excel automatically appends the file name with
a "1" after the name. This has recently started happening. I have no idea why
or how to stop it! Any advice???

Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

Are you opening a template file (*.xlt) or a normal workbook file (*.xls)?

If you're opening a template file, then this is the way excel works--so you
don't overwrite that template.

If you're opening an excel file, then excel/windows is confused.

It sounds like windows is using New as the default action when you doubleclick
on the filename in windows explorer.

If you right click on a *.xls file, you'll see a bunch of options--one will be
Open and one will be New. Open should be the bold (default) one.

I bet you'll see New in bold.

If that's the case, you can try this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Now try double clicking on that filename.

Did it work ok?

If yes, woohoo!

If no, you could manually change the default action.

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)

--

Dave Peterson
sostabarak

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

sostabarak wrote:

When I open an existing file, Excel automatically appends the file name with
a "1" after the name. This has recently started happening. I have no idea why
or how to stop it! Any advice???

--

Dave Peterson
Excellent advice ..worked beautifully thank you!

sostabarak

"sostabarak" wrote:

When I open an existing file, Excel automatically appends the file name with
a "1" after the name. This has recently started happening. I have no idea why
or how to stop it! Any advice???
Thank you for the input..unfortunately it didn't work..however I did get a solution which is posted. Thank you!!!