Ann Knoff

Default Totalling numbers that are Conditionally Formatted

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I need to
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Ann
Ann Knoff

Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't get it to
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but I
couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Ann Knoff <Ann wrote:

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I need to
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Since the numbers are conditionally formatted, use the same condition in
your sum. For instance, if values less than 0 are formatted as red, use

=SUMIF(A:A,"<0")/COUNT(A:A)

(formatted as a percentage).

Peo Sjoblom

To sum yellow use

=SUMIF(A1:A100,"=43")-SUMIF(A1:A100,"56")

apply the same technique to the other conditions

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Ann Knoff" wrote in message
Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't get it
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the
conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but I
couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Ann Knoff <Ann wrote:

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I need
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Since the numbers are conditionally formatted, use the same condition in
your sum. For instance, if values less than 0 are formatted as red, use

=SUMIF(A:A,"<0")/COUNT(A:A)

(formatted as a percentage).

Ann Knoff

Thank you - that works wonderfully, except (and I obviously wasn't clear on
this - sorry) - I only need it to count the number of cells, not their
contents.

ie there is one red cell in the range, whose contents are 118, and the
formula is returning 118 - I need it to return 1

Does that make any sense?

Ann

"Ann Knoff" wrote in message
Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't get it
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the
conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but I
couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Ann Knoff <Ann wrote:

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I need
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Since the numbers are conditionally formatted, use the same condition in
your sum. For instance, if values less than 0 are formatted as red, use

=SUMIF(A:A,"<0")/COUNT(A:A)

(formatted as a percentage).

Ragdyer

Try this approach:

ColA ColB ColC
0 42 Green
43 56 Yellow
57 84 Amber
85 10000 Red

Format D1 to D4 as a Percent,
And enter this formula in D1:

=SUMPRODUCT(($O$1:$O$100<0)*($O$1:$O$100=A1)*($O $1:$O$100<=B1))/COUNT($O$1
:$O$100)

Copy this formula down to D4.

You should now have your percents alongside your colors.

You *should* enter your largest possible value in B4!
--
HTH,

RD

"Ann Knoff" wrote in message
Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't get

it
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the
conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but I
couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Ann Knoff <Ann wrote:

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I

need
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the

percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Since the numbers are conditionally formatted, use the same condition

in
your sum. For instance, if values less than 0 are formatted as red,

use

=SUMIF(A:A,"<0")/COUNT(A:A)

(formatted as a percentage).

Peo Sjoblom

Just replace SUMIF with COUNTIF

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Ann Knoff" wrote in message
Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't get
it
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the
conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but I
couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

In article ,
Ann Knoff <Ann wrote:

Is there any way to total up a column by the colours of a cell?

I have a column that has Green, Yellow, Amber and Red cells and I
need
add up how many of each are there and then calculate the percentage.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Since the numbers are conditionally formatted, use the same condition
in
your sum. For instance, if values less than 0 are formatted as red,
use

=SUMIF(A:A,"<0")/COUNT(A:A)

(formatted as a percentage).

Ragdyer

You're welcome, and thank you for the feed-back.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Try this approach:

ColA ColB ColC
0 42 Green
43 56 Yellow
57 84 Amber
85 10000 Red

Format D1 to D4 as a Percent,
And enter this formula in D1:

=SUMPRODUCT(($O$1:$O$100<0)*($O$1:$O$100=A1)*($O $1:$O$100<=B1))/COUNT($O$1
:$O$100)

Copy this formula down to D4.

You should now have your percents alongside your colors.

You *should* enter your largest possible value in B4!
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"Ann Knoff" wrote in message
Thank you for responding so quickly. Unfortunately I still can't

get
it
work (probably because I am a complete novice)!

The column the conditional formatting in is the O column and the
conditions
I am using are as follows:

If the number is between 43 and 56 - Yellow
If the number is between 57 and 84 - Amber
If the number is greater than or equal to 85 - Red

(Oh and the default is Green which is less than or equal to 42 but

couldn't get 4 conditional formatting items to work)

Any more help you can give would again be greatly appreciated

Ann