Technical Woman

Default In excel is there a way to pick out certain characters in a cell?

Ok my question is when I have a number in excel like in cell a1 there is the
number 1267 and say in cell b1 I want the first character of that number to
show up, so I want b1=1, c1=2, d1=6, and e1=7 is there are formula that I can
put in each of those cells to pick out the first character, 2nd and so on or
is this something I have to manually do everyday because I have a formula
that is putting in the 1267 or what ever number each day but I need to
seperate them out.
Dave O

You can use the MID() function, comme ca:
=MID(A1,1,1)
=MID(A1,2,1)
etc. You could also use RIGHT() and LEFT() for the columns on the
extreme ends, if you like.

Otto Moehrbach

To get the first digit, put this formula in B1
=Left(A1,1)
For the second number, put this formula in C1
=Mid(A1,2,1)
For the third number, put this formula in D1
=Mid(A1,3,1)
And for the last number, put this formula in E1
=Right(A1,1)
HTH Otto
"Technical Woman" <Technical wrote in
message ...