qadie

Default how do i set up a three dimensional table

How do I set up a three dimensional table in order to easily get the totals
based on both rows and columns? Names will be on the left as will be
categories of type of volunteer work. Columns will have months of the year
as well as Totals for each category. I tried using Pivot Tables but they
work off of a 2 dimensional table. I know this must be easy but I just
can't figure it out at 2 a.m. Thanks!
topola

I'm not sure whether I properly understand your question 'cause you
haven't provided any example of how your raw data is organized in the
worksheet. I assume what you need is a simple Pivot Table with two
fields inserted as in a ROW {Names, Type_Of_Volunteer} or adversly
{Type_Of_Volunteer, Names}, one in a COLUMN i.e. Month_Of_Year and in
DATA Sum of Numbers. To see both fields Names and Type_Of_Volunteer
while being on the first field you should use Show Detail from
RightMouseMenu Group and Show Detail.

HTH,
Tomek Polak, http://vba.blog.onet.pl

qadie

I apologize for the confusion. I have Name, then type_of_work performed
(phone desk, garden club, speaker, etc) on the rows and months of the year on
the columns. I need to be able to be able to find totals for the
type_of_work by month, monthly totals for all type(s)_of_work by volunteer,
as well as yearly totals. So it's really a 3 dim array (name, type_of_work,
month). I need to keep it in Excel so that it can be maintained by anyone in
the future if I'm not available.
Thank you for your help!

"topola" wrote:

I'm not sure whether I properly understand your question 'cause you
haven't provided any example of how your raw data is organized in the
worksheet. I assume what you need is a simple Pivot Table with two
fields inserted as in a ROW {Names, Type_Of_Volunteer} or adversly
{Type_Of_Volunteer, Names}, one in a COLUMN i.e. Month_Of_Year and in
DATA Sum of Numbers. To see both fields Names and Type_Of_Volunteer
while being on the first field you should use Show Detail from
RightMouseMenu Group and Show Detail.

HTH,
Tomek Polak, http://vba.blog.onet.pl

topola

So what you are basicly missing is years.
I would just group the months in the columns and you are dane.
Select 12 months names of the year in the heading
on your pivot table , right click: Group and Show Details Group.
Repeat this for each year.
A field "month2" should be created. You can rename it "Years".
Now you can show or hide details for "Years".

Tomek P.