Christina L.

Default Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a formula.
The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the number
that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

Thanks
--
Christina L.

RagDyeR

Couldn't you just type in the number?

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Christina L." wrote:

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a formula.
The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the

number
that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

Thanks
--
Christina L.

Christina L.

Thanks RagDyer for your response. Yes, I could just type the number, but my
example that I listed is only one cell. The person who asked me if this
could be done has a huge sheet with "lots" of cells. So I was looking for
some sort of "set up" to be able to do this with multiple cells at one.
--
Christina L.

"Christina L." wrote:

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a formula.
The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the

number
that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

Thanks
--
Christina L.

Christina L.

Thanks G. student for your response. I will try that. Hopefully this works
with multiple cells - I will try and select several cells and give it a try.
Question - is there some sort of "set up" so this occurs as the default?
--
Christina L.

"Christina L." wrote:

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a formula.
The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the number
that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

Thanks
--
Christina L.

swatsp0p

You need to understand the "Formula Bar" is used to display the
"Formula" that a cell may contain. If a cell does not have a formula,
then the contents alone are displayed.

Gary's solution will remove the formula and replace it with the value
that the formula returned. Does the contents of these cells ever
change? e.g. if C1 contains "=A1+B1" and A1=2, B1=3, doing the paste
special... will show 5. However, when (if) A1 or B1 change, C1 stays
5. This may or may not be what your friend is looking for.

Is the purpose to 'hide' the formula from prying eyes? Hiding the
formula bar may be a better solution (ToolsOptionsView tab--uncheck
Formula Bar in the 'Show' section).

Just some food for thought on this subject.

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=479790

RagDyer

Just so you realize that you are *removing* all your formulas so that there
can *no longer* be any more calculations performed!

If you will need further calculations, make a copy and work on the copy.

RD

"Christina L." wrote:

Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a

formula.
The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the

number
that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

Thanks
--
Christina L.

Christina L.

Thanks SwatspOp
I appreciate your food for thought. I don't know why the person doesn't
want the formula displayed in the form. bar and he is aware that the formula
is no longer there. Go figure.

Thanks all for your help. I did do the copy/paste option.
--
Christina L.