MatthewTap

Default Sorting a-z | z-a ... removing pop-up "Sort Warning"

When I have, for examples, several columns of data, and I highlight one
column and click to sort that one column, I Always get a pop-up window with
the title 'Sort Warning' that asks me if I really meant to do that, or if I
wanted to include the other text nearby.

Is there any way to remove that pop-up? I've yet to ever use it and I'd
rather not have to keep closing it if possible.

Any help that you can provide would be great.

Thanks.
Matt
Dave Peterson

I don't know of a way to remove it -- but it took years to get that warning in
there. I'm surprised that it hasn't saved you from destroying your data at
least once.

(To me, dismissing that warning is a small price to pay to make sure I don't
screw up my data.)

--

Dave Peterson
Zack Barresse

That would be like removing the save changes warning upon closing a workbook
with changes made. Don't you like to be prompted for things like that???

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
to benefit others.

"MatthewTap" wrote in message
When I have, for examples, several columns of data, and I highlight one
column and click to sort that one column, I Always get a pop-up window
with
the title 'Sort Warning' that asks me if I really meant to do that, or if
wanted to include the other text nearby.

Is there any way to remove that pop-up? I've yet to ever use it and I'd
rather not have to keep closing it if possible.

Any help that you can provide would be great.

Thanks.
Matt

MatthewTap

Actually, not really. But, I can understand how many folks would like that
-- just a personal preference, I suppose. Not better, not worse, just
different. And I suppose I can see how folks could mess up their data with a
sort, but usually nothing a good ol' ctrl-z can't fix.

But, I do appreciate hearing other people's viewpoints... I'm just big on
being able to configure things, and that little window is frustrating to me.
[with the disability I have, every move of the mouse, every slight of the
hand, anything even that small makes me feel like a ... hmmm, well, I'll save
the graphics, and just say it's extremely painful. So, I like to keep my
movement to a minimum. And so that's why I was hoping there was a way to 86
the pop-up.

Well, although not the fix I was hoping for, I appreciate the info -- that
does help.
Thanks.
Matt

"Zack Barresse" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

The bad thing is lots of people don't notice that the data is messed up until
after the undo is cleared (like after a save).

You could have a macro that sorts your data based on the activecell. I'd put a
button on the worksheet and assign it this code:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

Dim myRng As Range
Dim myCol As Long

myCol = ActiveCell.Column

With ActiveSheet
Set myRng = .Range(.Cells(1, myCol), _
.Cells(.Rows.Count, myCol).End(xlUp))
End With

myRng.Sort key1:=myRng.Cells(1), order1:=xlAscending, header:=xlYes

End Sub

I guessed on the starting row (1) and whether you had headers (I guessed Yes).
But you could change that to what you want.

"Zack Barresse" wrote:

[...]

Zack Barresse

I would suggest finding another way around it. Not by taking away the
dialog box, but changing your mouse situation. Either learn to use the
keyboard where it doesn't cause as much pain, or invet in a new mouse. A
good friend of mine had a similar problem just recently. It hurt him
immensley to use a standard mouse. Enough so he didn't want to use his
computer at all. He went out and bought an $80 air mouse which he can use
in any position he likes. As he moves the mouse around in a 3-dimensional
environment (in the air) it moves his cursor on the screen. It came with
tons of shortcut keys. His problem went away, as he was comfortable moving
his mouse then. His was a nerve condition.

Hope this maybe provides some other avenue's for you. Sorry to hear about
your problem. I really know how much of a pain they can be.

"Zack Barresse" wrote:

[...]

MatthewTap

Dave --

Hey, thanks. I'm not new to Macro's in Word, but have trouble in excel... I
appreciate the link to try and help me with that.

And, I do see how in Macros and such it could be quite a different
situation, and that makes a lot more sense.

Anyway -- thanks a lot.