Vee Crossley

Default xls file

Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Chip Pearson

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Vee Crossley

Hi there Chip!

Thankyou so much for your quick reply, I will try this, and I will get back
to you.
Kindest Regards
Vee

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

keithl816

Hi Vee

If you do not have excel already on your computer click on the site
below and download the excel viewer. All you will be able to do is view
the spreadsheet you will not be able to make changes. If you need to
open the compressed file you can go to downloads.com and download
winzip.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/P...displaylang=en

hope this helps

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21287

Gord Dibben

Vee

You must also have Excel installed on your computer to open the file after
using one of the ZIP programs to unzip it.

If you don't have Excel you could download the XLViewer that allows viewing
and printing Excel files.

http://office.microsoft.com/download.../xlviewer.aspx

Note: this URL leads to the 2003 viewer.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Vee Crossley

Hello Gord

I have just discoverd that I could not open the file even with winzip, so I
am taking your advise and downloading the xlviewer. Many thanks to you Gord,
I will let you know how I have got on, thanks again.

Kindest Regards
Vee

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Gord Dibben

Vee

WinZip would be used to unzip the file but not to open it.

Excel or the viewer would be used to open once you had it unzipped.

After running WinZip do you get an *.XLS file?

Gord

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Vee Crossley

Hi Gord

I downloaded the xlviewer and eveything is fine, so thankyou for you help
and your time.

Regards
Vee

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file. Search
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley" wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Chip Pearson

WinZip simply unzips the compressed file in to the xls file. It
doesn't open the file. Once you've unzipped the file, you can
open it from within Excel.

--

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

You can use WinZip or PKZip to unzip the compressed file.
Google for free versions of these programs.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Vee Crossley"
wrote in
message
Hello

I wanted to open a compressed zip file which is an Excel
spreadsheet, but
windows could not open it. Apparently I need do download
some
software to be
able to view this type of xls file. Could anybody help.

Vee Crossley

Hi there Keithl816

Thank you for your reply, I have dowloaded the xlviewer and everything is
fine. Thanks again for you time and your quick reply.

Kindest Regards
Vee

"keithl816" wrote:

Hi Vee

If you do not have excel already on your computer click on the site
below and download the excel viewer. All you will be able to do is view
the spreadsheet you will not be able to make changes. If you need to
open the compressed file you can go to downloads.com and download
winzip.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/P...displaylang=en

hope this helps

Larry

--
keithl816
keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21287
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=478588

Vee Crossley

Hi there Chip

I said that I would get back to you.
I have downloaded the winzip and the xlviewer and everything is fine. Thanks
again to you.

Regards
Vee