Sonya

Default FIND function?

I need to search a column for text and return the value from the column
beside it.

so... where "d1" occurs in b4:b60, I need it to return the value in cloumn
a. this information will be pulled from sheet 3 of a worksheet and posted in
sheet 1.

so if in sheet 3 - "d1" appears in b16 then I need it to return the value in
a16 in sheet 1 in a designated cell. This is all text formatting.
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

A1 = d1

=INDEX(Sheet3!A4:A60,MATCH(A1,Sheet3!B4:B60,0))

Biff

"Sonya" wrote in message
I need to search a column for text and return the value from the column
beside it.

so... where "d1" occurs in b4:b60, I need it to return the value in cloumn
a. this information will be pulled from sheet 3 of a worksheet and posted
in
sheet 1.

so if in sheet 3 - "d1" appears in b16 then I need it to return the value
in
a16 in sheet 1 in a designated cell. This is all text formatting.

Sonya

Default Thanks, that one didn't work.

I think I might have been unclear. I think the reference of "d1" might have
led you to think it was a cell.

column a column b
Sara car

Let me restate it for clarification - where the text car occurs in b4:b60, I
need it to return the corresponding cloumn text which in this example would
be Sara. this information will be pulled from sheet 3 of a worksheet and
posted in sheet 1.
I hope this is more clear. Thanks for your help

Peo Sjoblom

I don't think it was unclear, put car in A1

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)