jerry

Default Pivot Table Calculated Item

I am querying an external database to retrun a pivot table, then i am adding
a calculated field that calculates Regular hours * Bill rate. to come up
with total revenue. When it runs, the calculated amounts are 2, 3, 4 times
more that what it should be.

any ideas how i can get this calculation to return the right amounts.

thanks
Jerry

jerry

Roger, That did not seem to work. Maybe a little more information would help.

I believe the challenge is the in the way pivot tables summarizes the
multiplies.

For example

10/1/05 task 1 = 2.00 hours
10/1/05 task 2 = 3.00 hours
10/3/05t task 3 = .50

rate 50.00/hour

thus,(2.00+3.00+.50=5.5 * 50.00) * 3

Instead what i am looking for in the above example is 5.5 hours *50.00/hr.

Any idea, how i can accomplish this?
thanks

Jerry

Hi Terry

jerry wrote:
I am querying an external database to retrun a pivot table, then i am adding
a calculated field that calculates Regular hours * Bill rate. to come up
with total revenue. When it runs, the calculated amounts are 2, 3, 4 times
more that what it should be.

any ideas how i can get this calculation to return the right amounts.

thanks
Jerry

Roger Govier

Hi Jerry

As I said originally, if the times are 2:00, 3:00 etc., whilst this is the
displayed value (either in the source data or the PT summary), Excel stores
all time values internally as fractions of a day.

To convert to decimal hours, you need to multiply by 24

=(2:00+3:00+0:50)*24*50 = 291.6667
You need to format the cell with the formula as General.

In your example, you show one time as 0.50. Do you mean 0:50 or 50 minutes
as opposed to half an hour? If so then the above applies.

If you truly mean .50 and your source times are decimal hours then the total
would not need to be multiplied by 24.

Regards

Roger Govier

jerry wrote:
Roger, That did not seem to work. Maybe a little more information would help.

I believe the challenge is the in the way pivot tables summarizes the
multiplies.

For example

10/1/05 task 1 = 2.00 hours
10/1/05 task 2 = 3.00 hours
10/3/05t task 3 = .50

rate 50.00/hour

thus,(2.00+3.00+.50=5.5 * 50.00) * 3

Instead what i am looking for in the above example is 5.5 hours *50.00/hr.

Any idea, how i can accomplish this?
thanks

Jerry

Hi Terry

jerry wrote:

I am querying an external database to retrun a pivot table, then i am adding
a calculated field that calculates Regular hours * Bill rate. to come up
with total revenue. When it runs, the calculated amounts are 2, 3, 4 times
more that what it should be.

any ideas how i can get this calculation to return the right amounts.

thanks
Jerry

jerry

Roger,

thanks for your responses thus far. However,

I guess i am not getting the right info to you. First to answer your
question. The source time is in decimals(.50 = 1/2 hour).

Next,

I have sumbitted time by various resources.

John smith Task 1(i.e.documenting) - 10/1/05 3 hours 50.00/hr
Task 2 (i.e. development) - 10/2/05 2 hours 50.00/hr
Task 3(i.e. development) - 10/3/05 .5 hours 50.00/hr

in the above scenario if i do not include the task name and the date in my
pivot table,the hours are summarized by resource(john smith) multiplied by
the rate then multiplied again by the number of tasks for the week.

thus the above would calculate as follows (5.5 * 50) *3 = 825.00 vs

what i am hoping the result would be is that no task and date beign
required in the pivot table and the result would be = 275.00

hope this add some more clarity. Sorry about the confusion.

thanks
Jerry

jerry wrote:
Roger, That did not seem to work. Maybe a little more information would help.

I believe the challenge is the in the way pivot tables summarizes the
multiplies.

For example

10/1/05 task 1 = 2.00 hours
10/1/05 task 2 = 3.00 hours
10/3/05t task 3 = .50

rate 50.00/hour

thus,(2.00+3.00+.50=5.5 * 50.00) * 3

Instead what i am looking for in the above example is 5.5 hours *50.00/hr.

Any idea, how i can accomplish this?
thanks

Jerry

Hi Terry

jerry wrote:

I am querying an external database to retrun a pivot table, then i am adding
a calculated field that calculates Regular hours * Bill rate. to come up
with total revenue. When it runs, the calculated amounts are 2, 3, 4 times
more that what it should be.

any ideas how i can get this calculation to return the right amounts.

thanks
Jerry

Roger Govier

Hi Jerry

Email me directly with a copy of your file and I will see if I can sort it out.

Remove NOSPAM from my email address to sen direct.

Regards

Roger Govier

jerry wrote:

Roger, That did not seem to work. Maybe a little more information would help.

I believe the challenge is the in the way pivot tables summarizes the
multiplies.

For example

10/1/05 task 1 = 2.00 hours
10/1/05 task 2 = 3.00 hours
10/3/05t task 3 = .50

rate 50.00/hour

thus,(2.00+3.00+.50=5.5 * 50.00) * 3

Instead what i am looking for in the above example is 5.5 hours *50.00/hr.

Any idea, how i can accomplish this?
thanks

Jerry

Hi Terry