EYREI

Default Format Cells Dialog Box

Hi,
I was delivering Excel training the other day when one of my syudents asked
me a question. Can you help answer it.
She wanted to know why, on the Format - Cells dialog box (Patterns Tab)
the colours appear in two groups with a horizontal line separating each
group.
My theory is that it is something to do with different colour palettes or
colour depth.
Anyone know any better ?

Regards

George Nicholson

Good question. I've occasionally sort of wondered about that too but not
enough to investigate <g. Just did some digging:

Look at ToolsOptionsColor. This is your current color palette.

Standard Colors: Top 40 blocks
--dividing line--
Chart fills: next 8 blocks
Chart lines: next 8 blocks

Total of 56 unique color "slots" available in a palette (while some colors
may appear to be duplicates, they don't have to be).

The color dialog that appears when Formatting etc, follows the same layout
as this but it doesn't have the "Standard Colors, Chart fills, Chart lines"
labels. And, of course, ToolsOptionsColor is where you would "swap" out
one color in your palette for another, if you so chose ("Modify"). That
change is then reflected in the Formatting dialogs.

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.