john mcmichael

Default autofilter isnt working

I have a list of data that includes ID numbers with combinations of numbers
and letters and dashes. In an older version of Excel I was able to use
autofilter to filter the rows by ID number...However, when I turn on
autofilter with the cellsof the ID column selected, I do not get a complete
list of ID by which to filter, it only shows me the items hat have ID's that
are just numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Peterson

First, excel only shows 1000 entries in that dropdown of the autofilter. But
you can use the custom filter and type in the string you're looking for.

Second, if you let excel guess the range that should be filtered, maybe it
guessed wrong--especially likely if you have blank rows in your data.

Remove the filter, select the whole range and reapply data|Filter|autofilter.

--

Dave Peterson