Bettergains

Default OOo Arrggghhh

Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine
Anne Troy

Germaine, when you installed OO, you checked a box you shouldn't have. Just
re-assign XLS files to Excel.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Bettergains" wrote in message
Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine

Dave Peterson

Maybe you can have excel "steal" that extension back:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

(Although, I've never used Sharepoint...)

--

Dave Peterson
Bettergains

Hi Dave:
Thanks, I may try that. I resorted to uninstalling OOo. It appears that it
has done something to the existing xls files that Sharepoint doesn't like. So
even when the files are xls files, Sharepoint won't play with them once OOo
has been installed--even when *not* used. FYI in case anyone else encounters
this little headache. In this Case OOo is the culprit to my thinking.

Thanks, Germaine

Bettergains wrote:

Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine

--

Dave Peterson

Bettergains

Hi Anne:

Actually, they were assigned to xls files. That's the point. OOo wasn't
being used, but was just downloaded to my system. The files operated fine as
xls files *until* they were uploaded to Sharepoint, and there is something in
the file that Shareopint doesn't like. Anyway, I fixed the problem for now by
uninstalling OOo. Unless I'm missing something else you are alluding to.

Thanks, Germaine

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Germaine, when you installed OO, you checked a box you shouldn't have. Just
re-assign XLS files to Excel.
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Bettergains" wrote in message
Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine

Dave Peterson

I still don't use sharepoint, but you may want to verify that .xls files are
owned by excel (if you ever reinstall OpenOffice, that it):

Open Windows explorer
find a .xls file
shift-rightclick on it
Open with|choose program (if it's not Excel)

But this is still a guess.

Bettergains wrote:

Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Bettergains

Hi Dave:
Yep, I did confirm that they were owned by Excel. This is one of the
features of OOo, that you can open a file with either. The icon will toggle
to id which file type you are currently working in. And the Sharepoint
version we have is WSS, not SPS. It's an OOo bug, as Shareopint should not
refuse an xls file, but OOo has done something to the xls file that prohibits
the Sharepiont Excel interoperability. I'm still going to try your previous
suggestion after downloading the new OOo 2.x late this week, to see if that
fixes this problem.

Thanks, Germaine.

Bettergains wrote:

Hello:

I downloaded OpenOffice and it has taken my xls files hostage. I am trying
to upload existing xls files to Sharepoint, and am getting an OOo error
something like this (An API call existed abnormally). This is an OOo error
although the file is an xls file. Help.

Thanks, Germaine

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Good luck.

Please post your results of your test. Then google will have the answer for the
next person who uses OpenOffice and SharePoint.