StargateFan

Default Totals column thinks it's 24 hr clock & shows 01h31m instead of 25h31m. Fix?

A spreadsheeI that allows me to enter hours is not adding up correctly
in the totals column. It adds up correct up to but not including 24
hours but after that the total deletes that 24 hoursl It seems Excel
is mistaking this for the 24 hours clock system and doesn't realize
that it must show the total. i.e., after deleting 3 rows above the
totals column I get a total of 23h16m but then after the next row, it
shows less than 1 hour with the final total of all the rows showing
01h31m. That should actually show 25h31m.

Is there a way to get Excel to actually add up the hours instead of
doing what it's doing? Thanks!

Ragdyer

Try custom formatting your total cell to:

[h]:mm

The square brackets prevent the hours from rolling over into days, and since
your cell isn't formatted to show days, the hours seem to disappear.
--
HTH,

RD

"StargateFan" wrote in message
A spreadsheeI that allows me to enter hours is not adding up correctly
in the totals column. It adds up correct up to but not including 24
hours but after that the total deletes that 24 hoursl It seems Excel
is mistaking this for the 24 hours clock system and doesn't realize
that it must show the total. i.e., after deleting 3 rows above the
totals column I get a total of 23h16m but then after the next row, it
shows less than 1 hour with the final total of all the rows showing
01h31m. That should actually show 25h31m.

Is there a way to get Excel to actually add up the hours instead of
doing what it's doing? Thanks!

Gord Dibben

Format the cell to Custom [h]:mm when going over 24 hours.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:21:47 -0400, StargateFan
wrote:

A spreadsheeI that allows me to enter hours is not adding up correctly
in the totals column. It adds up correct up to but not including 24
hours but after that the total deletes that 24 hoursl It seems Excel
is mistaking this for the 24 hours clock system and doesn't realize
that it must show the total. i.e., after deleting 3 rows above the
totals column I get a total of 23h16m but then after the next row, it
shows less than 1 hour with the final total of all the rows showing
01h31m. That should actually show 25h31m.

Is there a way to get Excel to actually add up the hours instead of
doing what it's doing? Thanks!

StargateFan

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:38:03 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Format the cell to Custom [h]:mm when going over 24 hours.

Kewl, thanks for both replies! Much appreciated. I'll give it a try.
:oD