Cap Kirk

Default Transpose multiplication

When I multiply two vector arrays, one in a column and another in a row, I
do it with the TRANSPOSE() function. Long time ago someone told me that the
same thing could be done using simbols in a special way (brackets, may be).

I used the method and it worked, but now I can not remember it. It had
advantages over the TRASPOSE() function, so if anyone remember how this is
done, I'll preciate letting me know.

Thanks, Cap Kirk

Alan Beban

Cap Kirk wrote:
When I multiply two vector arrays, one in a column and another in a row, I
do it with the TRANSPOSE() function. Long time ago someone told me that the
same thing could be done using simbols in a special way (brackets, may be).

I used the method and it worked, but now I can not remember it. It had
advantages over the TRASPOSE() function, so if anyone remember how this is
done, I'll preciate letting me know.

Thanks, Cap Kirk

One way:

=MMULT(A1:F1,G1:G6)

Alan Beban
Cap Kirk

Thanks, Alan. But I was thinking in another thing:
When you have two cells and you want to multiply them, you write: C1=A1*B1.
Now, if you drag the cell, the formula subindex will vary in the direction
dragged. Say down: A2*B2, A3*B3, etc.
But if you have two line vectors with different orientations , say one
column A1...A20 and one row B1 ... XX1, and you multiply A1*B1 and drag the
formula, the multiplication will not hold the proper cells. What I want to
do is to drag the formula and get the column terms to move in the proper
direction (Vertical: A1,A2,A3,etc) and the row terms also in it's proper
direction too (horizontal: B1, C1, D1, etc).

I seem to recall that this could be done with some special handlig of
simbols like brackets or curly brackets, and I can´t find any references
now.

If anyone recalls, pls let me know.

Cap Kirk

"Alan Beban" escribió en el mensaje
Cap Kirk wrote:
When I multiply two vector arrays, one in a column and another in a row,

do it with the TRANSPOSE() function. Long time ago someone told me that

the
same thing could be done using simbols in a special way (brackets, may

be).

I used the method and it worked, but now I can not remember it. It had
advantages over the TRASPOSE() function, so if anyone remember how this

is
done, I'll preciate letting me know.

Thanks, Cap Kirk

One way:

=MMULT(A1:F1,G1:G6)

Alan Beban

Alan Beban

I don't quite get it. Assume you have 1,2,3 in A1:A3, and 4,5,6 in
B1:D1; now put a formula in B2 that would return the value of A1*B1; now
drag the contents of B2 to B3--what do you want displayed in B3? Now
drag the contents of B2 to C2--what do you want displayed in C2?

Alan Beban