Georgyneedshelp

Default How do I get only the data I want to be shown?

I have approximately 2000 rows of data all with strange data in it. Each row
starts with positions of stars in sexagesimal format. I want to filter
through these so that I only have the ones I want (approx. 600), followed by
the data in the row that corresponds to the position. I have the list of the
ones I want in a seperate column (i.e. there positions). How do I get them?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
bpeltzer

Two approaches come to mind.

1) Use an advanced filter. Click in the larger table and select Data
Filter Advanced Filter. The 'database' should be the larger table (Excel
will probably fill this in for you). The 'criteria' should be the position
column within the smaller table. Only the matching rows would remain
visible, and you could copy these to another sheet. (Note that there must be
a header row for each table, and the headers for the criteria must match.
That is, if it's labeled 'Position' in the larget table, it must be labeled
'Position' in the smaller).

2) Use the MATCH worksheet function. Suppose your larger table is in
A1:D2000 with the position in column A and the filter list is in H1:H600. In
D2, enter =ISNA(MATCH(A2,H:H,FALSE)). Autofill that formula into D2:D2000,
then autofilter (Data Filter Autofilter). Select FALSE to see the
matching rows (which you could copy to another sheet) or TRUE to see the
non-match rows (which you could delete).