Peter_G

Default Doing Statistics on Time Values

I need to perform some basic descriptive statistics on time values of the
format +/-yy ddd hh:mm:ss.mss. Most of the values are less than a 1 sec. So
most of the data points look like + 00 000 00:00:01.01.

Specifically, I want to be able to take the average of these values and find
the standard deviation - a histogram would be great, but if I have to
manually create one, not a big deal.

Any help would be appreciated.
ScottO

Take a look at the function wizard in the "Statistical" category.
Also have a look at the "Data Analysis" tools in the Tool menu (note:
you may have to install the Analysis Toolpak Add-in first - click
Tools/Addins and click the box).
Rgds,
ScottO

"Peter_G" wrote in message
| I need to perform some basic descriptive statistics on time values
of the
| format +/-yy ddd hh:mm:ss.mss. Most of the values are less than a
1 sec. So
| most of the data points look like + 00 000 00:00:01.01.
|
| Specifically, I want to be able to take the average of these values
and find
| the standard deviation - a histogram would be great, but if I have
| manually create one, not a big deal.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry W. Lewis

Excel time values are formatted decimal numbers. The AVERAGE and STDEV
functions should work just fine with them. ScottO has already pointed
out that there is a histogram tool in the Analysis ToolPak.

As a diagnostic, you might try COUNT(yourTimedata) and verify that they
are indeed Excel time values and not text.

Jerry