Ted Metro

Default Outline a worksheet

I'm trying to auto-outline a worksheet, and running into a problem.
Hopefully it can be done with auto, instead of using the manual outline.

I have 4 departments that make up a division, and for each department I have
a list of the associated people in that department and the hours that they
have worked. Using the outline I have two layers, one with the employees
rolling up into the departments and then the 4 departments totaling up to the
division level. I have one department that has only 1 employee and I can't
get that employee to collapse under the department. So it looks like this
now ---

Hours
North Dept. 200
West. Dept. 125
South Dept. 100
Mike Smith 100
East. Dept. 100
Division Total 525

And of course I can expand the North, West, and South depts. to see all of
the employees respective to those divisions. How can I get only the East
division to be visible so that one has to expand to see Mike Smith??

Ted
Dave Peterson

If you had that department name on each detail row, you could use excel's
builtin Data|Subtotals to get that outlining automatically (well, if the data
were sorted, too).

Another option (with that same dept on each row) would be to use Data|Pivottable
to create a nice summary report.

(If you do take the time to do this, make sure you do the division field, too.)

--

Dave Peterson