C Brehm

Default Refrencing a variable cell in a formula

I need to get the value of a cell off one worksheet where the cell address
is on another sheet.
I have tried this:
=CONCATENATE("'Vendor Totals'!",Sheet1!I3)

Even tried Indirect()
Thanks for the help.
Carl

David Billigmeier

Worksheet references enclose in brackets (i.e. [MySheet.xls]
Tab names include ! after references (i.e. Sheet1!)

So your formula would be:
='[MySheet.xls]Sheet1'!A1

Now, if you have a cell reference in A1 in tab Sheet1 in MySheet.xls you
would need to format your indirect formula like so:

=INDIRECT('[MySheet.xls]Sheet1'!A1)

However, the reference in this A1 cell would need to follow the same format.

Dave

"C Brehm" wrote:

I need to get the value of a cell off one worksheet where the cell address
is on another sheet.
I have tried this:
=CONCATENATE("'Vendor Totals'!",Sheet1!I3)

Even tried Indirect()
Thanks for the help.
Carl

Dave Peterson

=indirect("'Vendor totals'!"&sheet1!i3)
or
=indirect(CONCATENATE("'Vendor Totals'!",Sheet1!I3))

--

Dave Peterson