Connie

Default Spreadsheet Disappeared

For the 2nd time, I've invested many hours building a spreadsheet with
lookups, naming, and validations. I've saved the file to my flash drive and
when I open it at home on my laptop, nothing is there. I can get the name of
the file across the top of the screen and no workbook is there.

The entire Window button of options (Unhide, Arrange, etc.) are greyed out.
But it's got the file name across the top. If I open in Notepad, I can tell
the stuff is there.

I can recreate this AGAIN, with another 5 hours of work, but I'm afraid it
too will vanish.

Help Please.
Dave Peterson

Open the file
then Click on Window|Arrange|tiled

Then you can resize manually.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Oops. I missed that.

But if you can see the filename in the title bar, the file is opening.

I'd try resetting the worksheet menu bar.

Tools|Customize|toolbars tab
select the worksheet menu bar
and click reset

Then try Window|arrange|tiled.

Connie wrote:

For the 2nd time, I've invested many hours building a spreadsheet with
lookups, naming, and validations. I've saved the file to my flash drive and
when I open it at home on my laptop, nothing is there. I can get the name of
the file across the top of the screen and no workbook is there.

The entire Window button of options (Unhide, Arrange, etc.) are greyed out.
But it's got the file name across the top. If I open in Notepad, I can tell
the stuff is there.

I can recreate this AGAIN, with another 5 hours of work, but I'm afraid it
too will vanish.

Help Please.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Close excel
then reopen excel in safe mode
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
then file|Open your workbook

Then window|arrange|tiled

=======
One way to reset that toolbar (and all toolbars) is to delete the *.xlb file
(where excel stores these customizations).

close excel
then windows start button|search
Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD

Start excel and see if it worked.

If it did, delete those *.xlbOLD files and rebuild any changes you've made.

If it didn't work, just rename them back (no harm, no foul).

Connie wrote:

Still greyed out.

Connie wrote:

For the 2nd time, I've invested many hours building a spreadsheet with
lookups, naming, and validations. I've saved the file to my flash drive and
when I open it at home on my laptop, nothing is there. I can get the name of
the file across the top of the screen and no workbook is there.

The entire Window button of options (Unhide, Arrange, etc.) are greyed out.
But it's got the file name across the top. If I open in Notepad, I can tell
the stuff is there.

I can recreate this AGAIN, with another 5 hours of work, but I'm afraid it
too will vanish.

Help Please.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Connie

The only thing that was different was that I got a prompt about my macro
which hasn't shown up before. I'm gonna start over. I'll keep it on my hard
drive instead of on my flash drive and see if that does anything different.
Thanks for trying.