John Britto

Default Automultiply

Dear All,
Is it possible to set a value in a cell and that value be multiplied when i
enter a number.
Eg: a cell must hold a value 1000, so when i enter 2 the result should be
2000 and if the cell holds a value 15 and when i enter a number say 5 the
result must be 75 and so on. Any suggestion please
Sloth

You can't do it the way you are describing, but you can type a number in a
dummy cell then copy and paste special and select multiply.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use a formula? For example...

A1=1000
B1=2
C1=A1*B1
C1 outputs 2000

"John Britto" wrote:

Dear All,
Is it possible to set a value in a cell and that value be multiplied when i
enter a number.
Eg: a cell must hold a value 1000, so when i enter 2 the result should be
2000 and if the cell holds a value 15 and when i enter a number say 5 the
result must be 75 and so on. Any suggestion please

B. R.Ramachandran

I apologize if I haven't understood your posting correctly.

You can not enter a number in a cell and expect the SAME cell to hold
another value and also a formula (that would multiply the original and the
newly entered numbers and show the outcome). The two numbers and the result
have got to reside in different cells.

If A1 and B1 contain 1000 and 2 respectively, enter the following formula in
C1.
=A1*B1
and click 'ENTER'.

The contents of A1 and B1 can be changed, and C1 will get updated accordingly.

Once again, my apologies if I didn't understand your posting properly.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"John Britto" wrote:

Dear All,
Is it possible to set a value in a cell and that value be multiplied when i
enter a number.
Eg: a cell must hold a value 1000, so when i enter 2 the result should be
2000 and if the cell holds a value 15 and when i enter a number say 5 the
result must be 75 and so on. Any suggestion please

AlfD

Hi!

But you can if you use VBA.

Is this what you want?

Example: A1 holds 1000.
You click on A1 and enter 2
A1 now shows 2000

Alf

--
AlfD
AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4785

John Britto

Yes, you are correct. Though I don't know VBA. Please explain me how to
accomplish my request. Suppose a container holds 2000 cartons and 5
containers equal how much. So, when i enter 5 the result will be 10,000..
Just out of curiosity I am looking for this..

Thanks..john britto

"AlfD" wrote:

Hi!

But you can if you use VBA.