S.G.Pillai

Default Sort data in Excel

I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
according to the group which starts alphabetically. How can this be done? I
know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
come together .... and so on ..
how can this be done .
thanks in advance
S.G.Pillai

Can you explain it much more clearly because i am not a frequent user of
excel and have no much deep knowledge of it.
Where should i put this ?(=left(a2,1)) in column b? or ???

"Nick Hodge" wrote:

Can you use an extra column and sort by that, eg. if the tags are in column

=LEFT(A2,1)

This will parse the first letter into a new column and you can use this as
the first sort and then the original one as the second source

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"S.G.Pillai" wrote in message
I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort
this
according to the group which starts alphabetically. How can this be done?
know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am
having
tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h
should
come together .... and so on ..
how can this be done .
thanks in advance

Anirudh

Hi s.g,

simply try this
..datasort'call ref' (than accending /dsiending)

anirudh

"S.G.Pillai" wrote:

I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
according to the group which starts alphabetically. How can this be done? I
know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
come together .... and so on ..
how can this be done .
thanks in advance

S.G.Pillai

Is this doest solve, because if sorted i cant get them in such a way to
assign a macro to get those tags which come in particular groups because
either it will sort in alphabetical order or reverse. Any thing else pls to
try with ??????????

"S.G.Pillai" wrote:

I am having some tag numbers and it is entered in random. I want to sort this
according to the group which starts alphabetically. How can this be done? I
know that filter is one way but it doest work the way i want. Eg. I am having
tags pg-1, , pg-5, pg-2, he-1, xza-2, pza-3, fia-1 etc. I want to sort it
such a way that all the tag starts with p should come together and h should
come together .... and so on ..
how can this be done .
thanks in advance

JR

I don't quite understand your delima. I took this...
pg-5
pg-2
xe-1
xza-2
pza-3
fia-1
pg-1

sorted it and got this...
fia-1
pg-1
pg-2
pg-5
pza-3
xe-1
xza-2

All of the p's are together, all of the x's are together, etc.