DKR

Default How to sort just by month when cell says 05/14/1963

I have employee birthdates in a column like 05/14/1963, and I need to sort
my month only, I have tried that text to column thing and it doesn't work for
me. Is there a way to sort this by month only so I can get the people who
have a birthday for a particular month. Thanks in advance.
Ray A

One way;
In a helper column enter =month(A1) assuming that A1 contains the date. Copy
dowm and sort on the new column
HTH

"DKR" wrote:

I have employee birthdates in a column like 05/14/1963, and I need to sort
my month only, I have tried that text to column thing and it doesn't work for
me. Is there a way to sort this by month only so I can get the people who
have a birthday for a particular month. Thanks in advance.

JR

You can just highlight all of your data (b-day, emp name, emp dept, etc.) and
sort (ascending) by the b-day column. Dates have a serial number associated
with them so, 04/01/05 is less than 05/01/05. This will put them in day
order as well but, all of April will be together, all of May will be
together, etc.

"DKR" wrote:

I have employee birthdates in a column like 05/14/1963, and I need to sort
my month only, I have tried that text to column thing and it doesn't work for
me. Is there a way to sort this by month only so I can get the people who
have a birthday for a particular month. Thanks in advance.

Ray A

JR
That works fine if you want to sort by date. In this case DKR was trying to
identify everyone with a birthday in May no matter what the year of birth. By
using the =month() function you can isolate and then sort on the month only.