DoubarSingh

Default How to copy Memo BLOB field from Interbase database

For handy display I developed a segment of VBA ADO codes to view the
fields from an Interbase database. It worked fine for most essential
fields. Until recently I want to include the memo BLOB field. It
displays nothing when I copy straightly from the dataset to the cell.
And it displays garbage when I first copy from the dataset to a string
variable and then place into the cell.
I suspect there should be a data definition for the memo field but I
can not find it from the help topics. Any one can tell me how, and
where to get VBA manuals relate to these issues?

THX!

The following is a seqment of the coding:

Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
Dim numberOfRows As Integer
Dim stmtSQL
Dim ChgBkDt As String
Dim RemarkField As String

ChgBkDt = Cells(2, 3).Value
Range("a1").Select

' Open the connection.
Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
cn.Open "DRIVER={XTG Systems InterBase6 ODBC
driver};DB=200.xx.1xx.25x:D:\hshome\cdest\Def\GBST INFO.GDB;UID=cdestm;PWD=btyrrb;"

'' Set the command text.
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
Set cmd.ActiveConnection = cn

stmtSQL = "SELECT * "
stmtSQL = stmtSQL & "FROM MAIN c, FOLKREMARK t WHERE CATDATE like
'%" & ChgBkDt & "'"
stmtSQL = stmtSQL & " AND c.REFR = t.REFR order by CATNO"

With cmd
.CommandText = stmtSQL
.CommandType = adCmdText
.Execute
End With

'' Open the recordset.
Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
' Set rs.ActiveConnection = cn
rs.Open cmd

Cells(6, 2).CurrentRegion.Clear
' numberOfRows = Cells(6, 2).CopyFromRecordset(rs)

' ...... and other coding here

Cells(8, 2).Value = rs("certno")
Cells(8, 3).Value = rs("memodate")

RemarkField = rs("Remarks")

Cells(8, 4).Value = RemarksField

Cells(1, 3).Select ' reset cursor cell

Set cmd = Nothing
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
cn.Close
Set cn = Nothing

--
DoubarSingh
DoubarSingh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27777

DoubarSingh

The problem was in the driver.
The XTG Interbase6 ODBC driver beta 15 doesn't handle Blob properly.

I use the later version XTG Interbase6 ODBC version beta 17 pre 3.
It works fine now.

Thanks for not responding .... ..... ...