Wozza

Default why doesnt my formula cell update automatically ?

=SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed. I
have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work
Biff

Check and make sure that calculation is set to automatic.

ToolsOptionsCalculation

Biff

"Wozza" wrote in message
=SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed.
have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work

Roger Govier

Hi Wozza

FYI the calculation mode is set by the Calculation setting of the first
Workbook opened in that session of Excel.
Maybe the first book you opened was from someone else, and they had the
calculation set to manual.

Regards

Roger Govier

"Wozza" wrote in message

=SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed.
have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would love to know why Excel does this as I have had the same problem today
and its a workbook that we have used everyday this month and it is used by
the same person everytime, then for some reason, this morning it has somehow
set itself to Manual Calculation. Anyone got any ideas?

"Wozza" wrote in message

=SUM(G5:G11) if I change any cell in the range, the sum is not performed.
have to select the sum cell, F2 then Enter in order to get the sum to work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ruth, the easiest workaround is to just have the workbook set calculation to
automatic every time it is opened. Copy the 3 lines of code below, open the
workbook, right-click on the Excel icon at the left of the menubar and
select View Code. Paste the code in there. Press Alt-F11 to return to the
spreadsheet. Close the file and save it. Now when it's opened, calculation
will be automatic. HTH, James

Private Sub Workbook_Open()